all of you know Gabe is a firefighter. most of you know it is very difficult to get on here in amarillo. for that reason we test pretty much anywhere near here every time there is a test. Gabe has been on the Dumas fire dept for almost 3 years now. well 3 years ago we tested in Lubbock. At the time I was totally not ready to move anywhere, but when Gabe came back to the hotel room to tell me he didn't pass and I saw how devastated he was I decided right then and there, wherever he goes, I will go. well now here we are 3 years later and gabe had decided to test in Lubbock again....then we bought a friends lawn business which doubled Gabe's business in size and he told me he wasn't going to test for Lubbock. Tuesday of this week he decided to go ahead and test. I told him I thought it would be a good practice for him to take a test he wasn't worried about and that he hadn't studied for just to see how he could do stress free.....woops! gabe made a 90 on that test and placed 23rd out of 130 something people...WOW! He did
so good! He was shocked when they called his name to get finger printed and talked to about the agility test. So Friday we drove around Lubbock in a state of shock until we came home...what do we do now? You only have til your 35 to get on at a fire station...Gabe is 32. Lubbock pays better than Amarillo, the retirement is better, the stations are newer the only problem....moving! Now I know I said 3 years ago...wherever you need to go to be happy Im with you, and then we had kids. Now we are in a position where we don't know if we want to move our family, and not to mention the loan we just took out to enlarge our lawn business. If we move we have to put the kids in day care or me stay home, and we can't really afford to do that. You are allowed to travel to Lubbock and about 1/3 of there dept does travel from all over the area, but driving 2 hrs each way every 3 days bites! So now we are kinda just waiting to see what happens. Gabe goes back on the 25th of March (yes 5 days before I'm due) to take his CPAT (physical agility test) and then we wait for the phone call. Now we know from experience if they say they are going to hire 25 and your 23 on the list its about a 99% chance your gonna get called. There are always people who take that test that aren't eligible yet (ie still in the academy), that can't pass the CPAT or that just don't want the job for what ever reason. So we know in about 3 or 4 months we will have to make a decision. There are million things running through my head on a constant. My family is very small and pretty much all we got is right here....my grandparents are all gone and my mom just has here sister and brother, my dad has no siblings left and we are pretty much it. Jaxson is EXTREMELY attached to his "oma and opa" and "caca and wewe" (thats corgen and whitney) and would be devastating to take that away. My mom quit her job to take care of our kids and if we leave she will have to go back to work. We will have to pay probley double what we pay right now for child care and the list goes on and on and on. so I tell you all this to ask one thing...PRAY FOR US. I want this for Gabe so badly and I know he wants it too. He is a wonderful man and an amazing provider for his family. we have never had to want for anything because he is willing to do whatever it takes to make it work for us. He has a professional career that can take him anywhere and he loves it and I am so very proud of him for that. We have a big decision to make, and even if we take the job and dont move now, chances are we will be moving in the next few years. Thanks for reading and please keep us in your prayers! We only want to do what is best for Gabe, Jaxs, Lauryn and I and are trusting in the Lord to show us that.
2 comments:
I'm praying. And I promise to pray that God's will is revealed to you versus Melanie's will ;) Love ya
Most definitely praying for you guys. Totally know how that feels, and that's awesome that Gabe did so well! Please keep us updated.
Post a Comment