About a month ago, right before we went on our family vacation, Jaxson had developed an ear infection. We did our 10 days of antibiotics and did fine. For about the last week Jaxson has been not eating well and sticking his fingers down his throat, but never running a fever. So I kept looking at his tongue, his teeth, anything to see if I could figure out what was wrong. Today (Friday) I decided to go ahead and take him to the Dr. just to see if there was anything going on or if I was just paranoid. So as soon as we checked in Cassi swabbed Jaxson for strep throat. Dr. Medford came in to check him out and said his left ear drum was retracted, so she looked back through his chart and it had been exactly 1 month since his last ear infection(only his 2nd ear infection in his life), yet he still had fluid behind that ear. So she told us we need to recheck the ear in 2 weeks and if it is still retracted we are going to an ENT to get a tube inserted into that ear (retracted means there is pressure behind the ear drum that is not being released due to fluid or inflammation....if it is not corrected they can loose hearing in that ear and as a result have a speech delay)
As we talked Cassi came in to tell us the strep was negative, so Dr. Medford gave us a nasal spray to help with the inflammation in the ear and told us to see her in 2 weeks for his 18 month well child check. Well, Cassi decided to check the strep swab once more before she threw it away and behold a little blue line had appeared....Jaxson has strep throat. So now we are on 10 more days of antibiotics and nasal spray and have 2 weeks to pray his ear gets better or we are scheduling surgery. Now please understand a myringotomy (tube placement in the ear) is an EXTREMELY simple procedure...in fact you can google it and even watch a live video of it. I am not concerned about the surgery; if it needs to happen, we will not think twice about getting it done....however, we still do not want Jaxs to have to have it done! So please join Gabe and I and our family in prayer that Jaxson's left ear will get better and he will not have to undergo surgery to correct it. (By the way, you would never know the kid is sick except when he spits out his Apple Jacks...he loves those things :~))
Christmas 2019
6 years ago
2 comments:
Praying now.
We had the same prob with Ashley. She had strep one time & dud not run a fever. They did the swab & it came out bloody. She has had three sets of ear tubes, several er visits & a hospital stay (the one where you were her nurse). She ended up having her adenoids & tonsils removed. I know what it's like so I really pray that you don't have to go through any of it. Best of luck. - Michelle
Post a Comment