This morning Jaxson woke up at a bright and early 645am. As I was sitting in the recliner with him watching cartoons I thought it we don't go do something I will never make it through this day! So I decided that we should go back to the zoo and see if we could at least see the monkeys this time(they are my favorite!) We arrived right at 10am and immediately noticed that the monkeys were out...YEAH. They seemed like they had just woke up so we moved on to visit the other animals and let them get nice and awake. We saw all the same familiar faces as last week, only this time I figured out where they hide the bears...they, of course, were asleep as well. As we were walking along I noticed a yellow flyer that said they would be feeding the Lions at 11. This should be cool! So we wasted some time and arrived at the Lions cage about 6 or 7 minutes before it started. We had front row seats and just happened to pick the spot right in front of where they set this up. First 2 girls brought out a Zebra made out of cardboard boxes designed by some WT students. They put a hunk of meat in the "head" and also in the "body" of the Zebra. The zoo man told us that Lions sleep 23 hours a day so we can't guarantee a show, they might just come out, lay down and go back to sleep! But typically if there is anything in the cage that they haven't seen before, it is their nature to attack it. There was a girl down in the Lions actual den getting them ready to come outside. First she opened the inner gate and we could see them (there are 3, 2 girls and a boy) then she opened the outer gate and they charged at the Zebra, knocked it down and beat it up until they got to the meat.


It is notable that the 2 females did all the attacking while the male watched until meat was found, and then tried to jump in on the deal! Per the zoo guide, that's just how it is in nature...no, really?


We learned that these 3 lions are brother and sisters and they will turn 4 years old in September. The zoo is having a birthday party for them! After we watched the lions eat we went back to see the monkeys. This time there were 2 in particular that were chasing each other and howling every time one caught the other.


I just love to watch monkeys, they were born to entertain, its almost like the more people watching them, the more silly they act! By this time it was 1130, which is Jaxson's lunch time, so we headed to the car to go home. About 4 minutes later I saw this:

We had the best time at the zoo, I am so glad I decided to go this morning instead of swimming or watching veggie tales! If you want to go next Saturday they will be feeding more animals at 11, 130, and 330 (I think)
No comments:
Post a Comment