Tuesday, May 19, 2009

To bink or not to bink

We have decided it is time to do away with the binkie. Jaxson is extremely attached, but everything I have read says they need to be off it before 2 and preferably by 18 months. So....here we go. However, we are leaving for the mountains next week and I am sure that we will be in desperate need of a binkie on the 5 hour drive to Ruidoso. The week after will be a fine time I am sure of it! The question is this. I got Jaxson a mini taggie blanket to help get him off the bink. (literature says that you should replace the binkie with something else comforting) So should I hide the new blanket until we take the binkie away or give it to him now and just take the binkie away when we get back from vacation. Does anyone have advice on how to break this habbit? Experience, ideas, suggestions, or thoughts are MORE than welcome!

4 comments:

Melanie Lyons said...

Give him a banana! LOL just kidding. I have no advice.

Unknown said...

at my school, we had a 5 year old show up on the first day with a binkie in his mouth.
i agree with melanie-give him a banana:)

The Bonjour Four said...

i think i would take the binki on your trip too! ha thank goodness Noah never liked pacifers!!

Unknown said...

I never had to worry about the binkie think..Ava hated it after Erik put it in her mouth with the cover still on. What to guys know....anyway, I would just let him have it until he is ready to give it up..how many 18 yr olds do you know that still use the binkie? Of course, I am not the one to ask since Ava still comes to our bed in the middle of the night.